Market Samurai v/s Long Tail Pro – The evergreen debate among the SEO community
Market Samurai and LongTail Pro are two big names that are the most looked up in the discipline of keyword research. They have been making life easier for a lot of bloggers, internet marketers, SEO specialists and corporates, by giving them an automated solution to find the right keywords that could help them rank in SERPs and consequently drive traffic to their websites.
Market Samurai (MS) is a keyword research tool that has been around for a longer time than LongTail Pro. It helps you analyse site placement tracking (rank tracker), SEO competition, and monetization among others. It can be credited with the creation of early mass market keyword tools.
LongTail Pro (LTP) is developed by Spencer Haws to find and analyse keywords and the metrics that help you choose effective keywords for your website, blog or online store.
For all those who are confused which one to invest in for best monetary return, we will help you choose. Just stay till the end of the post and you’ll know the best choice!
Market Samurai v/s Long Tail Pro – Differentiation points
When you enter your project details in Market Samurai, apart from Keyword research, you will come across a lot of other things:
Market Samurai helps you with
- Keyword research (duh)
- Listing affiliate offers, and different methods and ways to monetize
- Analysis of the competition
- Publishing content to various wordpress accounts
- Finding EMDs (exact match domains), along with partial match domains within the tool
- Finding opportunities for backlinks
- Finding content within the article directories
Long Tail Pro helps you with
- Keyword research
- Analysis of the competition
- Training for Keyword Research via Long Tail University
- Checking SERPs (Rankings)
- Domain Checker
For a given seed keyword, we might have certain preferences to be looked up, while ignoring certain others. The main difference lies in the way both these software handle the keyword filters.
- Market Samurai will generate keywords, then give an option on top of the page to add the filter, and re-generate the list all over again. Which takes a bit of effort, and quite a bit of time.
- Longtail Pro, on the other hand, offers the feature to add the filters before generation of keywords, so you only get the results that you specifically asked for.
While doing keyword research it is preferable to get and analyse maximum keywords in a short amount of time. Both the software tools allow you to enter a seed keyword and give you related keywords.
- While Market Samurai can generate ideas for only one seed keyword at a time
- Long Tail Pro will allow 5-10 seed keywords and show results for all in one go.
Both Market Samurai and Long Tail Pro will give you data that can help you analyse the competition for your keyword. In fact, Market Samurai will give you more stats than Long Tail Pro. But in Long Tail Pro, Moz will provide you with the Domain Authority (DA) and Page Authority (PA) of each of the top 10 results.
Market Samurai will only find domains after a few steps of keyword generation, as compared to LongTail Pro, which will show everything at once.
Also Long Tail Pro in its Platinum glory (read version) truly gives your entire keyword research an edge with its Average KC feature. Average Keyword Competition is a calculation that will give you a KC score for each keyword. That score will tell you how difficult or easy will it be to rank that keyword on the SERPs. A higher KC score indicates the difficulty level of ranking it. Conversely, a lower score means it is easier to rank that keyword. One look at it, and you know which keywords to eliminate and which ones to keep. So you save your time not building content on keywords that won’t be easy to rank.
- Market Samurai has a lot of steps to be followed, each one requiring your attention and the changes take their time to give you your desired results.
- LongTail Pro, with its KC tool, does everything at once and gives you the results, in less time. In fact, LongTail Pro was created as a solution that offered quicker keyword generation than Market Samurai.
Market Samurai v/s Long Tail Pro – Verdict:
There is no clear winner. You need to choose the tools based on your requirements
In our opinion, affiliate marketers, niche internet marketers, etc would find more value in Market Samurai due to features like affiliate program search etc while those who care about just keyword research, Long Tail Pro may seem to be more appealing.