To be featured in Google’s index and improve google ranking is on every webmaster’s list. Search bots and spiders are used by search engines to go to different websites, analyse their content and index it. Your website has to have a decent number of crawls by the Google bots to be listed on SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages). Which means when a user searches for something using keywords similar to your website’s, it should show up immediately as the first few results on the search engine. Since Google is really dynamic in nature and huge in size, getting indexed on it might take a while.
But till you get listed, you don’t want users to type your URL every time manually, do you?
How to get your website on SERP effectively and quickly improve google ranking is what we will explain you in this post.
Update Content Regularly and Avoid Duplicate Content on your Website
- Keeping your site alive and running is one of the effective ways to get crawls. Websites which have fresh content updated at least thrice a week have a better crawl rate than the static websites. Of course, you can keep tweaking your website now and then, but having blogs, images and videos around the niche of your website is easier than that. For all new content though, there has to be SEO done.
- Do not ever post duplicate content on your site just for the sake of keeping it active! Every new piece of content you post is checked for duplicity from the large, existing database. Once guilty, your website’s ranking will drop and crawling rate will dwindle.
Optimize Images on your Website
- Images are not read directly by the bots of Google. In order for your image to feature in the search results, optimize it using alt tags and your keywords. Once listed on SERP, people will be able come to your website through your images.
Submit your Website to High Profile Directories
- Another way to improve google ranking is to notify the bots that your website has been updated with pings using pingmylink and pingomatic. List your website in high authority directories such as Technoarti and DMoz. It will make the bots come crawling to your website traveling through your listings on those directories. Backlinks from various sites are helpful as well!
Use Sitemaps and Interlinking
- Adding a sitemap link to your website will help bots crawl deep pages of your website. Also, interlink different pages of your website – link a new post to an old, related post for effective crawling.
A Good Uptime and Low Loading Time
- Have your website hosted at servers with a good uptime. Otherwise, Google bots will set their crawling rate accordingly, making it harder for your website to be indexed faster. Along with that, make sure your website doesn’t take ages to load – nobody has the time, not even those bots! If images, videos and PDFs take all the bots’ crawling time, when will it travel through your website for indexing?
Block Crawling of Unwanted Pages
- Use Robots.txt to edit which pages the bots should crawl on. Exclude the admin pages, thank you pages and all those pages you don’t care to index on Google.
Monitor Google Crawl Rate
- Keep a check on what’s working for increasing the crawl rate and what’s hampering it. Google Webmaster Tools can help you analyse and set the crawling rate for your website.
Feel free to let us know if we missed out on any important element via the comments below