Comments are not something that many people are aware can make or break or your website. Automated bots are out there across the internet waiting to jump on and fool you into thinking it’s a real person. Unfortunately it isn’t and after a little while, you will begin to understand and notice which kinds of comments are which, and how to tell the genuine from the spam. Here’s some tips for your own blog when it comes to moderating comments!
Steps for WordPress Blog Comment Moderation
- Download security and anti-spam programs, such as Akismet to keep spam clear
- Names that don’t look human or are too business-y should be avoided and deleted
- Generic statements and unrelated comments are obviously spam and fake
Comments should be meaningful:
- Instead of asking for comments and things of that sort, ask for people to share your posts and pages/products
- Real people are happy to share, bots can’t do this
- Follow up comments actually relating to the discussion are deemed real but use your own judgement
Don’t use comment Luv plugin:
Using this plugin is a waste of time as baiting in potential visitors via irrelevant links is not genuine. I don’t like to seem like this so I avoid it at all costs and you should too! The main reason however, is because your SEO will suffer greatly due to this program, and Google will not promote you in the slightest.
Correct grammatical mistakes:
- Fix or edit any grammatical or punctuation errors in any comments on your website
- Don’t accept any unless the majority of these issues are okay
- High quality comments will enable more high quality interactions to continue
- SEO takes grammar and punctuation VERY seriously
- Delete any low quality or spam comments that reduce the quality of your website
Comments for asking irrelevant help:
- Delete any irrelevant comments that don’t relate to your post or website (whether they are people or bots)
- High quality links and comments are the key for website and comment SEO (as above)
- If your query is genuine, then simply get in touch with them and answer their questions via email and keep your SEO at high levels
- Any copied and pasted material should be deleted immediately as it promotes low quality links
- The same goes for any irrelevant links etc.
If you can avoid all of the early mistakes regarding comments that I made (as listed above), you will see that the quality of your websites and the quality of the comments themselves will be of a much higher quality. If you find any of the mistakes above in your own website, then it is imperative that you do what it takes to edit and clean it up. Your traffic and sales will depend on this almost entirely!